LIVE Futures: the movie

21 October 2008

Minister comes to LIVE!

LIVE Editor Sian Anderson, 17, tells all about when Kevin Brennan, Minister For The Third Sector, came down to LIVE.

Kevin Brennan you hear me say! A year ago, aged 16, this name would have had as much meaning to me as a a piece of paper without a pen - none! Third Sector, Brennan means to me a inspiration to all around him.

''I've heard it said that young people are not interested in politics - they are. They have opinions.''

I used to be a strong believer in the fact that youths hate politics and anything remotely to do with MPs/PMs until I heard the above. Brennan made me realize that although I had no direct interest in politics, I still have opinions on decisions that the government make that affect me. On that note it becomes apparent that all youths need to be exposed to the true definition of politics and be taught that they're opinion does matter.

Being the Minister of the Third Sector means that Brennan deals with all social enterprises and non profitable organizations such as LIVE to give youths better opportunities.

I previously had a stereotype of MPs being adults in suits who make important decisions that effect the public in both good and bad ways. I didn't think they had lives outside of parliament as its hard to imagine MPs having time to do anything else. Meeting Brennan - a Scottish family man, has taught me otherwise. MPs have personalities and actually have a sense of humor. Brennen plays guitar and sings alongside three fellow MPs for a (very good) band called MP4 -No seriously! Not MP3 but MP4... Get it? He's also a fan of any sport that contains a ball and would pick Britney Spears over Paris Hilton because Britney actually has talent!

Realising that like Brennan, many politicians are people who still have lives and want to make a genuine difference was a great eye opener for me and a wave of shame sweeps over me when I remember the way I cringed earlier the morning of October 14th as I prepared to meet a member of parliament. Youths need people like Brennan to open there minds to the real world of politics and realize that they do matter more than they think.

Its all fair and well that Brennan came to LIVE so we could find out about him butat the same time, this MP, took the time out of his busy schedule to find out a bit about each and every single one of us. Now if thats not a caring politician then I'm
not sure what is!

No comments:

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to New Blogger by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro